Monday, August 20, 2012

On being loved fully and outrageously, like I deserve.


First, a confession. For the first 40 years of my life, I did not feel worthy to be truly loved. I projected an aura of superiority and self-confidence, but inside felt unlovable and undesirable. A lot of women do. We internalize slights from middle and high school and hold ourselves to impossibly high standards. We find ourselves lacking.

What cured me of self-loathing? At first it was becoming a musician and singing out publicly – finding a passion and that audiences liked me, they really liked me, as Sally Field once said. This flew in the face of the old story about being unattractive.

Secondly, it was going through a painful, unwanted divorce. To heal I needed to fully love myself, faults and all. Early in the separation a memorable moment occurred in front of a full-length mirror when I assessed my body and finally embraced its beauty, uniqueness and flaws. I loved it – and me, completely.

Loving myself was an important step to being loved, but before dating, I also needed to map out what a successful relationship would look like, so I created a vision statement for my new life. It painted a verbal picture of my new home; the atmosphere, art and music that would live there – the social life, vacations and spirituality I’d pursue.

I also envisioned the man in my life. He would be kind, hospitable, generous and fit. I imagined a mutually loving relationship with a good deal of sex and affection. I wanted a man who adored me, would lay it all down for me, put me first and powerfully desire me. I shot not only for the stars but the whole dazzling Milky Way before even setting one foot in the dating swamp. This became the road map for my future.

A dear friend who had been single for many years warned about the lack of prospects in our hometown. “There are no good men. They are all taken. The only ones left are losers. Trust me – I’ve dated them.”

I envisioned better for myself. I reckoned it was only a matter of time before Mr. Right came into my life. The key was to not be entangled with Mr. Wrong when he finally appeared. The more I loved myself, the easier it was to lose the Mr. Wrongs. And while setting the bar high might result in singlehood, alone and happy was better than coupled and miserable. The bar stayed high.

It didn't drop with that first man I dated who noted I was “loving and feminine onstage, but vulgar and boorish offstage.” He was shown the door.

It remained high with the wealthy man who was not smart enough to recognize my power and intellect. He was stopped at the second date.

Most importantly, the bar didn’t come down when dating the well-off, fit and sexy plumber who had anger and jealousy problems. It was sad, but I ended it and was alone again.

Dave was not an obvious choice. He was a recent widower of a dear family friend. He was an artist like I was and quiet, probing, funny and smart. We started out as supportive friends with no thought of dating while I kept looking for Mr. Right.

To our surprise, over time our friendship became romantic. We were remarkably compatible, sharing interests in art, theater and music. We both loved to read, travel, entertain and wanted to create a house filled with love, respect and generosity.

Most important, Dave wanted me – was willing to do anything to get me. Nothing came before me. The more he loved me, the lower my defenses became and the more I loved him back.

Newly single, I had despaired that oft-quoted “statistic” that a middle-aged woman had as much chance of remarrying as getting struck by lightning. That was a mindset of scarcity and desperation. Instead, I determined there would be abundance and love in my new life, if not specifically a new man.

But, it turned out that accepting myself fully, envisioning my ideal life and keeping high standards became the magic path to the love of my life.

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully expressed and lovingly written Mari. These types of relationships are rare. The timing is notable to me in that I have a piece coming up on the value of "Be Excellent to Each Other." It's really a joy to see you uplift your relationship for us all to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Can't wait to read it!

      Delete
    2. Hi Marci. I am so glad you are playing full out in life. You are giving joy and possibility to the world. I know Dave from work. He so adores you. He seems so serene and content. May life always grace you both with love and vision. Peace to you always. Larry G

      Delete
  2. Nice mom! Vision statements & dream boards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this Mari...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete